Sunday, February 10, 2008
Since everyone keeps reminding me...
And Mitch is so excited to have a blog.
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
This is my pretty "Happy 1 Month Before We Get Married" pastry that Mitch brought me this morning. Isn't he the sweetest?
Friday, December 07, 2007
It's that time of year again...
Monday, December 03, 2007
Since everyone has been asking...
We're taking the job in San Francisco.
It ultimately came down to the fact that my family is in southern California and his is in Draper so, S.F. was the closest. We worried that if we took D.C., we'd be like, cut off from our families. San Francisco should be close enough and far enough.
So. Here's the timeline thus far...
This is my last week of school and then I have finals on Tuesday (hooray for UVSC). Mitch finishes up with BYU in like... a couple weeks or whatever. Then he has to move out of his apartment like, right away. And we're going down to CA for Christmas on December 21 and staying until the 26th. When we get back, I'm moving out of my apartment (by January 3rd). Most of my stuff (and M's) is getting boxed up and put in M's parents' basement. We're just keeping the things we'll need until we move. I'm living with a friend and her family for about a week and M is living with his grandma in Orem. (She offered to let us both stay there since she'll be out of town anyway but, we politely declined.) I'm working until about the 8th of January. Then we're getting married January 11th, honeymooning from the 11th - 17th, flying back to Salt Lake, and moving to San Francisco for him to start work the 21st.
At least after next week I won't have to worry about school too though, right?
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Why We Should All Have Integrity
I’ve written before about the agony my math professor has caused me this semester. We’re supposed to have quizzes and turn in any homework once a week and, though they’re not officially set days, we got on a schedule of having them every Wednesday. Well, one Monday I decided I could miss class without consequence. Bad idea. We ended up having a quiz and turning in homework on Tuesday. I didn’t know any of it. Honestly. And my homework wasn’t done because I thought I had until Wednesday. Needless to say, I didn’t do well.
Somehow though, when I got my quiz back, the grade wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. Great! But, after looking at it for a minute, I realized it was because he had given me credit for the homework I hadn’t turned in. [sigh]
So there was the dilemma. Did I want to risk having him take back the “free” points in favor of knowing I did the right thing? Or keep the points since I needed them?
Solution: I told my professor he’d given me extra points. I had to. I would have felt guilty like… forever. He told me to keep them!!! (I assume because he was lazy and didn’t want to have to fix it.)
My transmission was bad and it was covered under warranty. I took it in and was given the option of going with a transmission the shop chose or a transmission the warranty people chose. If the shop chose, I’d lose the warranty but I’d get a transmission with 43,000 miles. If it didn’t work, I’d have to pay to have it taken out again and wait for however long for a new one to come and be put in. If I had the warranty people choose one, they’d still be responsible for it but I’d probably end up with one that had like… 90,000 miles on it. I asked the shop and they said if I was planning on keeping it, take a chance on the 43,000. If I was planning on selling it, don’t bother with the chance that I’d pay more if the 43,000 one didn’t work, go with the warranty one. But… the one transmission had 43,000 miles and the other had who knows how many. And the warranty would only cover another 4,000-ish miles anyway.
Solution: I talked to M and he and I decided to take a chance on the 43,000 mile one. We know we might have to pay the extra if it didn’t work but, we’d feel like we’d done what we could to it before we sold it. The shop received that part yesterday… put it in today… and… IT WORKS!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssss!!!*
* I’ve never had a better experience with a car repair. Ever. In my life. If you ever need a new transmission, go there. I’m serious. I’m taking them breakfast tomorrow, I think. They were that awesome.
Friday, November 16, 2007
He's 3 for 3. Just waiting to hear from Boston.
Thursday, November 15, 2007
I've been looking at invitations. The thing is, I keep wanting to combine different invitations. See, my dream invitation just doesn't exist. Solution? Make my own!!!
But M doesn't want us to make our own "layered (with ribbon!) invitations."
He thinks they'll take a long time to make. And be hard. And that I'll want them to be perfect.
Some of you know that M is graduating in December and has been interviewing all over the place. San Francisco, Boston, and Cincinnati have all told him they’ll let him know in a couple weeks. He was in D.C. this Monday/Tuesday though and…
They offered him the job. On the spot.
I was so proud of him.
Thennnnn, San Francisco called him today. (No, not the whole city. Just the company in San Francisco.) They made him an offer too.
I was even more proud of him.
And then, he brought me flowers at work today.
Aren’t I just the luckiest girl ever?
In the interest of...
If you remember where we left off, I’d dropped off my car at the shop, they were going to check it out, and call me. Well, they called me. (Like, a week ago, actually.)
My transmission was pulling a couple codes (433 and 434, for those that are interested) but, without “dropping” the transmission (an automotive term which means, “taking out”), they wouldn’t know exactly what was wrong.
The shop then offered to call the warranty people and set up a claim.
A few minutes later, the mechanic called back and explained that the warranty people would send out an adjuster to test drive the car with them and see if the repair would be covered but, in the meantime, I wouldn’t be able to take my car from the shop. The adjuster would be there Monday or Tuesday. [sigh]
The good news of the situation was that I had rental car coverage on the warranty (who knew?!) and, if the claim was approved, I could have that pay for a rental car. (Hooray!) After talking about it with M though, we decided for me not to get a rental until Monday because we didn’t know for sure the claim would be approved, I didn’t really have anywhere to go over the weekend that he couldn’t drive me, he’d be in D.C. Monday/Tuesday so I’d need a car then, and if we did have to pay for it, we wanted to pay for as few days as possible.
That’s right. I spent the weekend without a car. As in, I walked to church.
Fast forward to Monday. Somehow (after a couple of frustrating hours) I got the rental car all figured out, one of the attorneys I work for drove me over to Hertz, and I got the car. That same day, the shop called me. The adjuster came by, drove the car with them, and said he would be filing his report. Right. “Filing his report.” The thing is, I worked for an insurance company before so I know how long “filing reports” sometimes takes and how many times you have to call to follow up. I’m very familiar with the need to light fires under people.
Guess what though! They called the very next day at like… 9:30 to tell the shop that the claim was approved! They’re paying for mostly everything except for like tax and stuff. And it ends up being about $$$$ so I am SO glad that I’m not paying for all that.
Anyway, now they’ve ordered a transmission for me. I had the choice between fixing my transmission (but without knowing what was wrong, who knows how much it would have cost), having the shop find one, or having the warranty people find one. The thing is though, the shop had already found one with 43,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, if they put that one in, the warranty people will pay them and then wash their hands of it and it’s no longer covered. So, if they put it in and it doesn’t shift, I have to pay to have it taken out again. If the warranty people were to have found a transmission, it could have been one with 90,000 miles on it but, if it didn’t work, it’d still be covered for another 4,000 miles-ish. The thing is though, my car only takes two specific transmissions. So, the chances that the one I’m getting is old and won’t work is semi-slim. And if it shows up with rust on it or whatnot, they’ll refuse it without even putting it in.
I asked the mechanic what he thought I should do and he said if I was keeping it, he’d definitely put the 43,000 mile transmission but if I was selling it (which I’ve been meaning to do), not to take the chance of putting more money into the car. I also talked about it with M though and we decided that even if we’re not keeping it, we want to know that we did everything we could before we sold it. Sooo, we went with the 43,000 one. It’s a bit of a gamble but, we’re hoping it’ll turn out okay. That should be here by Monday-ish and then the whole thing should be done by Tuesday-ish.
(I know it doesn’t seem like it but, that’s the short version of the story.)